Tyson Fury throws jab at Anthony Joshua ahead of planned double-header

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has started the fighting talk ahead of a potential double-header against Anthony Joshua by claiming that he is the bigger puncher of the two.

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, confirmed on Thursday that the two Brits had reached an agreement for two unification fights in 2021.

Tyson Fury reclaimed the WBC title with his 21st career knockout in a dominant victory over Deontay Wilder back in February, whilst Anthony Joshua currently holds the IBF, WBA and WBO belts.

The Watford-born boxer has won 23 of his 24 career bouts, 21 of those by knockout.

No one can doubt the power both stars have, but Fury believes he is the harder hitter of the two, telling Queensbury Promotions’ YouTube channel:

“I turned pro at 19. As a child, I was boxing men.

“[Anthony Joshua] never turned pro until he was mid-20s, when he was a man. So I was learning as a young kid. If I had turned pro at 25, 26, then I’d have knocked all the people out who went the distance with me when I was a young boy.

“I’ve never been a stand-still man who lands big shots, because I’m a slick boxer. I’ve just knocked out the heaviest puncher in boxing history. Andy Ruiz is not a big puncher but he knocked out Anthony Joshua.

“So I’d say I am a harder puncher than him. There’s people who have sparred both of us and quite a few of them have said it as well.

“But it’s not about who can punch hardest – it’s about the skill that goes behind it. I am still unbeaten in a 12-year professional career. I’m a force to be reckoned with.”

These planned fights can only go ahead if Deontay Wilder doesn’t take up the rematch clause in his contract from his last fight with Fury.

The Brit was the dominating winner of the fight earlier this year after a controversial draw between the two in December 2018, in which many boxing experts believed Fury was the clear and decisive winner, but for the judges’ scorecards.

On top of that, Anthony Joshua is scheduled to fight Kubrat Pulev, whilst Dillian Whyte is the mandatory challenger, which the governing body want to see his challenge by February 2021.

However, Fury isn’t keen on facing Whyte with bigger bouts on the horizon, telling Queensbury Promotions’ YouTube channel:

“Dillian Whyte is looking for a payday against me. The last few fights I’ve got left, I want them to be the biggest possible. It won’t be an organisation dictating to Tyson Fury. Let’s face it: nobody’s ever dictated to the champ.

“These low-profile fighters, they don’t mean anything to me. I’m a proud WBC champion, but I’m the lineal heavyweight champion, which trumps everything.

“I’ve completed boxing now. The belts are just pieces of leather with some fancy metal stuck on them. They mean a lot to an unknown champion, but not when you’ve been ruling the game for as long as I have.”

Madrid could host 6th Champions League final

Madrid could play host to the 2019-20 Champions League final according to the mayor of the Spanish capital city.

Atlético Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano Stadium only played host to the competition’s final 12 months ago and Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabéu has hosted it four times previously. Only London (Wembley Stadium) has hosted the Champions League final on more occasions in the competition’s history, including the European Cup.

The final was due to take place at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey on 30 May but for the postponement of the competition.

At the time we were halfway through the round of 16 stage and now UEFA officials are discussing the possibility of completing the 2019-20 campaign in a single city.

Madrid mayor José Luis Martínez-Almeida told Spanish free-to-air television channel Trécé (via AS) on Monday night:

“I know steps are being taken in this regard and on behalf of the city council, I want to show my total and absolute support for the Champions League final being held in Madrid.”

Spain has been able to bring COVID-19 under control in recent weeks and Madrid moved into phase two of easing lockdown on Monday – the penultimate stage.

Overall there have been more than 27,000 deaths caused by coronavirus in the country, but with a low number of new daily cases this month.

Almeida added:

“What it would demonstrate is Madrid’s ability to recover in a very short time from the dramatic situation we have been through.

“Adequate security conditions exist, we have the infrastructures and public services to host it and it would send a message to the world that Madrid, despite what we have experienced, does not give up and is back.”

UEFA has yet to confirm how the tournament will continue or if it will restart at all, but an update is expected next week after the governing body’s executive committee meeting on 17 June.

Germany’s Bundesliga is set to finish at the end of June, whilst the likes of the English Premier League and Spanish La Liga are scheduled to finish in July.

What Jadon Sancho would offer Man Utd

Manchester United continue to be strongly linked with a move for Jadon Sancho this summer.

The 20-year-old has been tearing it up in Germany with Borussia Dortmund for the past two seasons, becoming a regular in Gareth Southgate’s England national team in the process.

Sancho has scored 17 goals and recorded 16 assists in only 27 Bundesliga games (22 starts) this season, as well as two goals and two assists in his eight Champions League appearances (7 starts).

The attacker has been used in a number of positions under Lucien Favre in this campaign alone – predominantly down the right wing, but also a number of appearances down the left, as well as a central attacking midfielder on occasions too. His last two appearances have included time up front too but that was due to a injury to striker Erling Håland.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær is seemingly interested in another attacking player this summer. 12 months ago Manchester United signed Daniel James from Championship side Swansea City. The Welsh international has started 25 of their 29 Premier League matches so far this season, appearing from the bench twice more too.

James split his time between playing down both wings though slightly more down the right. The Red Devils have used Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as both strikers and on the left wing this season too.

Should Manchester United sign Jadon Sancho this summer, the obvious role for him would be for him to start down the right wing, displacing Daniel James. He has similar pace to the Welsh forward but is a much bigger goal threat.

I would also expect Sancho to rotate to the left during games too, and even from the start. He’s been a bigger threat cutting in on his right foot from that flank for Borussia Dortmund at times too.

Lucien Favre’s side are very successful on the counter-attack, something that Solskjær has been turning his Manchester United side into as well. They already have three pacey players up front, so Sancho won’t add anything different in that aspect, but his smarts and unselfishness will certainly aid United here.

The price tag thrown around has been as high as £100 million in recent months, but given that the star is still only 20 years old, it wouldn’t be a ridiculous sum by any means given the talent, longevity and potential he still has.

Tyson Fury says Wilder only wants 3rd fight for money

Tyson Fury has started a war of words with Deontay Wilder ahead of a potential third match between the two.

The ‘Gypsy King’ won their rematch back on 22 February by TKO in round 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Nevada, USA earlier this year

Fury dominated the fight, which was a rematch following their controversial draw in 2018. Most boxing experts said after the first bout that the two-time heavyweight world champion was the clear winner but the judges didn’t see it that way.

Mexican judge Alejandro Rochin scored the fight 115–111 to Wilder, Canadian judge Robert Tapper scored it 114–112 for Fury and British judge Phil Edwards had it as a 113–113 draw.

Many feel there wouldn’t be much interest in a third match given how dominant Tyson Fury has been in both fights. Basically, but for Wilder catching a right-left combination in round 12 of the first fight which put Fury down hard on his back, a third fight wouldn’t be in consideration right now.

However, Wilder has a clause in his contract that allows for a rematch. It could essentially be the twilight of his career, so it’s no surprise that people would think his only motivation is one final payday.

Tyson Fury was on Good Morning Britain today, and said:

“There’s all these words of Anthony Joshua and all these other opponents.

“But old Deontay Wilder’s still got his third fight that he has to take.”

When asked what he thought Deontay Wilder’s motivation for a third bout would be, Fury added:

“He will do, he’ll take the fight for one pure reason.

“It’s called money.

“He’ll take the fight because there’s a hell of a lot of money on the table and he’s got eight or nine kids to feed.

“He’ll definitely take the rematch, and it’s heavyweight boxing, anything can happen. Especially with a dynamite puncher like Wilder.”

Boxing fans want to see Tyson Fury fight Anthony Joshua later this year but it will not happen in 2020 if Wilder invokes his rematch clause.

Fury and Joshua would arguably be the most-anticipated all British world title fight since Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn’s second fight on 9 October 1993 at Old Trafford.

The post-fight press conference in February was focused towards a possible a third fight being the top priority.

Should the 34-year-old doesn’t take this rematch then he could potentially lineup good bouts versus Joseph Parker, Dillian Whyte or maybe even Anthony Joshua.

How to watch 33 Premier League games for free

The 2019-20 Premier League season is set to restart on Wednesday 17 June 2020 as Aston Villa host Sheffield United and Manchester City face Arsenal on the same evening.

Due to the exceptional circumstances the Premier League and government have been working with Sky Sports, BT Sports, Amazon Prime and BBC to show all remaining 92 games on television.

What’s more, over a third of those are already confirmed to be free to viewers in the United Kingdom. All games are being played behind closed doors and sponsors need an audience.

The Premier League can expect viewing figure records as a result, particularly with the BBC getting four games between now and the end of July when the season is scheduled to end.

All 92 remaining games are split up into the following broadcasters:

Sky Sports: 64
BT Sport: 20
Amazon Prime: 4
BBC: 4

Sky Sports already had 39 games left to show this season and BT Sport had the contractual rights to 8 prior to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The BBC will be showing live Premier League games for the first time in their history, since the division’s inauguration in 1992. There is no confirmation which games these are or which dates but it’s the BBC so they will all be shown for free.

Amazon have confirmed all four of their remaining Premier League games will be shown for free. Back in December they aired Premier League games for the first time. It is also unknown which four games these will be or exactly how it will all work but presumably you’ll need to hand over your email address and a few other details to them.

Sky Sports have already confirmed that the Merseyside derby between Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park will be free-to-air. There is yet to be a date confirmed yet but it will take place sometime between Friday 19-Sunday 21 June. It’s possible that Jürgen Klopp’s side could wrap up the title in the derby.

The free-to-air ‘Pick’ channel will simulcast with Sky Sports to show the Merseyside derby for free and 25 games in all. That’s channel 159 on Sky and 144 on Freeview.

So far BT Sport have not announced any of their games will be shown for free. That’s not to say they won’t make an announcement later though but for now we’ll have to wait and see.